Here is the latest information about a couple of star parties.
June 21, 2019 (Third Friday of each month Clouds permitting)
Jim Fahey will be doing solar observations starting about 7. Great time for new member to see the safe way to observe the sun.8:30 the big 20” will be deployed to view Jupiter. Then about 10:00 deep space objects!
July 26, 2019 Galena Campfire Program
Constellation hunt, Jupiter and Saturn, Deep space with the 20” weather permitting.
Call Galena Creek Regional Park Office for location. 775-849-2511.
August 2 to 4, 2019 Lassen Volcanic National Park “Dark Sky Festival”.
This is the club’s number one and best STAR PARTY!!! Highlights include: nightly constellation tours and stargazing. Astronomy activities including solar scope viewing, junior Ranger Astronomy and hands on activities. Discussions and demonstrations by National Park Darks Sky Rangers, NASA, the international Dark Sky Association, StarChazerz and the Astronomical Society of Nevada.
If you are new to astronomy this is a great place to learn in the three days of viewing. You do not need a telescope. You can be helpful in many different ways. This is a free event.
I have received several emails from members attending. BUT I need additional information:
- Number in party
- Arrival date: (some want to arrive a day early therefore the Park must reserve a spot for you.)
- Camping area: Tent camping with flushing toilets. Summit Lake North. -- Self-contained trailers (no water or outhouses). Lake Helen Lassen summit trailhead. Outside Park use internet for Motels. 10-20 mile drive.
- Telescope: none or something else.
- Departing date: (same as arrivals)
- Contact Number: Last minute additions or cancellation.
August 24, 2019 Markleeville Airport.
This appears to be a small town get together. How wonderful we are invited.
Like Lassen I need:
- Number in party
- Arrival date
- Camping area: Airport, will have a porta-potty. Don’t know about water.
- Motel: at this time, I do not have a discount rate. TBA
- Telescope: none or something else
- Departing date
From Rich Harvey: The local planning for the Star Party on August 24 is well underway. We will have a toilet, and are organizing food (BBQ), snacks, coffee and hot chocolate.
Here are the names and contacts for local eateries.
- Alpine Local camp rounds, Price for Camp site may change
- Turtle Rock Park Alpine county, open April – Oct 48.00 a night 530 694 2140 28 sites
- Indian creek reservoir , $8-$10 April – Oct BLM 775 885 6000 29 sites
- Crystal springs $ 9.00 May – September USFS
- Hope valley resort $15 – 30 Private 800 423 9949
- Hope valley $ 9.00 may – oct USFS 877 444 6777
- Lower blue lakes $ 15.00 June – Oct PG&E
- Creekside Lodge 14820 Hwy 89- Downtown Markleeville CA. - 530 694 2511 www.creeksidelodge.com
- Woodfords INN 20960 Hwy 89- 530 694 2111 www.woodfordsinn.com
- Sorensen Resort 14255 Hwy 88 Hope valley ,Ca www.sorensenresort.com
- Carson River resort 12399 Hwy 89 Markleeville Ca www.carsonriverresort.com
As more information comes to me I will pass it along.